Wednesday, October 7, 2009

CONTAGIOUS

Over the past few years, I have often found myself praying for awakening…for my eyes to be opened to the brokenness around me…for my heart to be stirred and shaken. Of course, the Lord answered these prayers and set me on a path that lit a fire in my heart to live with passion and intentional obedience. The ironic thing is that this fire was lit not because of witnessing passion and life in the world; rather, it was lit because my eyes were opened to the brokenness in the world: discontentment, apathy, coldness, hopelessness. There are so many who have settled into routine lives, monotonous jobs, and ongoing addictions. While walking around public places, I so often am met with broken and discouraged eyes. But, every fiber of my being wants to scream out: “Wake up! Wake up! Don’t give in! Keep fighting! Keep Breathing!” At first, I was overwhelmed by these things, but through conversations and travels that have led me across oceans, across continent, and sometimes just across the hall, I began to see the world a little more like Jesus does—with a broken yet hopeful heart.

As the Lord walked me through the process of opening my eyes to the world, I began to feel as if I was all alone in my efforts to fight for Life and to refuse to give in to the hopelessness that has so heavily covers our world! I felt…quarantined among the dead. But looking different—having joy in the middle of an aching, hope in the middle of desperation, life in the middle of the walking dead—is a lonely endeavor. And, time and time again, I fail. I let my fear win and I shrink back into my hole of safety. I let my loneliness win and I become what the world wants me to be in order to find company and comfort. But, occasionally I catch glimpses of the work of the Kingdom. I see one person awaken and begin to breathe again and live passionately, and then I see others captivated by the unusual breathing…and then they begin to breathe in the midst of a world that has lost its breath…and then more and more people begin to awaken! It really is contagious. These moments are what encourage my own heart to keep pressing on and never give up.

 


Anna Long

1 comment:

  1. Anna,
    While reading this I found myself in agreement. While attending AU, I realized that I was living in my comfort bubble. And I wanted a new perspective on things. I sent you a message on facebook a while back explaining my condition, and now I see a meaning to it.
    I have learned to never take for granted, walking, running or even shaving my legs. Some days I can't do things I should be able to do as a 20 year old. I get so frustrated when people take simple things for granted. We are so blessed. I am blessed.
    It's amazing how God works, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete